Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Second Take on Second Life

Quite frankly, I'm still a bit baffled by the whole Second Life thing. This Flickr graphic from mylerdude really speaks to me. The hype feels like some sort of a Jim Jones thing, and yet I still think that there is something significant going on in there, even if I haven't been able to find it just yet. There is no doubt in my mind that this requires a fair amount of playtime in order to really figure it out.

I think the parody site Get a First Life is pretty funny and I hope they add to it since right now it is basically just the first graphic and a link to sales of merchandise. Maybe that's all they intend, but I do think some comedy writers could have a lot of fun with this. Apparently, Linden Labs (SecondLife) has a sense of humor about the whole thing ... so that is refreshing in this overly-litigious world.

D'Arcy Norman sums up my thoughts pretty well (thanks for saving me the time) and Leigh Blackall at LearnOnline is another writer who is helping me keep up with the Joneses by del.icio.us tagging posts and comments about SL.

I'm going to keep playing around with it for a while longer, at least until I figure out whether I like it or not.

No comments: