Sunday, December 17, 2006

My Top 12 Web Tools of 2006 - Number 10

I started using Google IG about 6 months ago. It’s a personalized start page (or portal) that I use as the home page on all my browsers on all my computers, both home and work. It gives me quick access to the things I use most, and also gives access to those things that the rest of the family uses most, such as the games that the kids play (constantly).


You get a basic set of widgets to start with, but it is incredibly easy to delete them, add more, rearrange them, add more pages with tabs, etc. There are hundreds of widgets to choose from with more being created by users all the time. Some of the basic widgets available include:

  • Gmail
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Reader (RSS feeds)
  • Google Map Search
  • Google Docs and Spreadsheets
  • Local Weather
  • Local Movie Times
  • Bookmarked websites
  • Instant messaging
  • World Clocks
  • CNN or other news
  • Word of the Day
  • How-to of the Day
  • Stock Quotes
  • ESPN Sports or other
  • Date & Time
One of my favorite widgets is a Creative Commons search box for Flickr photos.

Popular alternatives include Pageflakes and Netvibes. I’ll stick with Google unless they get to the point where they totally tick me off with their corporate tactics.

No comments: