Thursday, April 05, 2007

Trying imeem

I'm working with one of our faculty members who uses music to teach history. He has had a popular class for several years on the Music of the Vietnam War. He is now working on a second class that uses a similar musical approach applied to a different part of our history.

His desire is to have all the music for the class available online for students to listen to outside of class, although there are no plans for this to be an online class. My concerns are to make sure we do this legally and that we do it well. We will most likely put the music inside our password protected learning management system (Desire2Learn) which will help somewhat, but there are still some copyright issues to consider. This will probably be the basis of a future I.P. Tip of the Week, but I'm not quite there yet.

While looking at various options, I came across one that seems to have great possibilities. imeem enables you to "create audio, video, and photo playlists from your own content and/or favorite stuff on the imeem network." I think there might be an important point in the phrase "from your own content," in other words from stuff that you have an ownership claim to. You can create your own playlists, organize the songs in any order you prefer, and share them or not. Songs cannot be downloaded by others (in theory), they can only be streamed from the imeem server.






As you can see above, it is very easy to post a playlist in any kind of webpage; including blogs, FaceBook, etc. etc, which would also include a webpage inside D2L. We'll probably get that annoying warning message about mixing secure and insecure content, but I'll check that out later. I made this playlist in about five minutes by grabbing some songs that are used in the Vietnam class from other imeem users who are sharing their content. I've got more research to do on this, but so far I like what I see.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

D. W. Proctor, Ph.D. said...

Barry, It is fun to visit your blog and see it evolve. Enjoy the learning and technology tips that you post. Remeber too, to send me addresses of any women blogging on technology, higher education and/or leadership.
Nice work....