Tuesday, July 04, 2006

NECC2006

I'm writing this while on the plane from MSP to San Diego for the 2006 NECC annual meetings. I'm a fist-timer at this conference and I'm pretty excited about it because many of my favorite edubloggers will be here. Besides, I just love San Diego and can't wait to enjoy good fish tacos which are pretty hard to come by in Minnesota and Wisconsin. My only disappointment is that my beloved Padres are not playing in town this week. Last time here I was able to catch 3 home games during their 2005 run to the Western Division title.


This conference has a K-12 focus but definitely includes useful info for higher ed as well. I'm actually coming here mainly because of the K-12 focus since I am working on creating materials to use during the next year (and beyond) to offer workshops around the region on Internet safety for kids. I plan to have at least 2 different workshops, and maybe 3. One will be focused on teachers and what they can do to promote and model safe web surfing for their students. A different version will be directed to parents and their kids. I would like to have them together for these workshops but there is a chance that it might prove more effective to talk to the students (through assemblies) separately from the parents (through PTA meetings).

Okay, now I'm here, I'm registered, I'm connected, and I'm heading up to the July 4th opening celebration...but I'm posting this first.

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

Best wishes! I will be reading. I am actually writing a book about that very topic that will be out in August. It may have some useful information for you.

Best wishes and I look forward to seeing what you learn!

Barry Dahl said...

Hi Vicki,
I read your blog regularly through my Bloglines account This is my first NECC and so far it has been great. I'm already planning to go to Atlants (I think) next year. I believe that's in your neck of the woods.

I look forward to your book. I did get some good ideas this morning and already am developing a plan of attack for the local school districts, who so far I believe, have not addressed Internet safety in any substantive way.

Take care, Barry