Friday, May 19, 2006

Prensky Revisited

e-Learning Summit day 2. Marc Prensky is the morning keynote speaker. I've blogged previously about how I've seen him several times during the past two years. He uses pictures of his son in his presentations so I feel like I've been watching him grow up. Here are a few of my favorite lines from his presentation:
  • "Email is for old people." - Student
  • "When will all this change END?!" Of course it won't, get over it.
  • 50% of the people in the world are under 25 years old. There was only one person in the audience who was under 25 (not quite 50%).
  • Learning feels like work to some people, but it feels like play when you are engaged or motivated.
  • "Whenever I go to school I have to 'power down'" - student
  • "You have to slow down when you're talking to teachers." - student
  • "The cookies on my daughter's computer know more about her interests than her teachers do." - Henry Kell, President, AFS
  • "Disrespecting each other (teachers and students) is the root of our problems." Prensky
  • "When you add an instructional designer, they suck the fun out!" - video game maker
Accoring to Prensky: Four reasons why educators are having problems
  1. the world is changing
  2. students are changing
  3. engagement is changing
  4. engagement is more important than content

No comments: